British Royal Princes, Prince Williams and Prince Harry pay tribute to Victoria’s Bushfire victims at the Australian High Commission in London. Princes William and Harry, placed yellow ribbons in their lapels and promised privately not to remove them before the Ashes series was over.
The second and third in line to the British throne made a brief visit to the Australian High Commission in central London on Tuesday to sign a condolence book for the hundreds of families affected by the blazes.
In a brief chat with officials, Prince William told of his sadness at the death toll and alarm that fresh bush fires were threatening further lives and properties. He added that he had been shocked to hear arsonists were behind some of the deadly blazes.
“To actually deliberately do it is just so callous. It’s very sad,” he said.
A statement issued on behalf of the princes said: “Prince William and Prince Harry were deeply shocked and saddened by the forest fire disasters that have struck Victoria recently.
“They just wanted to pay their respects to the Australian people today, and let those who have been tragically bereaved and others who have been left homeless know that their thoughts and prayers are with them.” Princes official statement.
The surprise visit, arranged by the Queen’s private secretary just 24 hours before, saw them arrive with an unusually small contingent in the Strand late on Tuesday afternoon local time. They shared a few quick few words with the High Commissioner, John Dauth, the Consul General, Paula Ganley and the Acting Agent General for Victoria, Ian Marland.
After signing the book, Prince Harry, jovial and relaxed, made the quip about the summer cricket.
On Sunday, Princess Anne represented the royal family at the national bushfire memorial service in Melbourne.
The Queen also made a private donation to the Red Cross bushfire appeal.